Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"no regrets"

I was talking with a friend of mine last night who is also a photographer http://www.scottdavidphotography.com/ and I asked him if he had any thoughts about being fully present on this trip while having a camera in my hands. Many times it's easy for me to get behind that lens, and use it as a bit of a shield between me and the world. Simply that I can hide behind or get lost in camera land. Scott had taken a mission trip to Africa a few years ago, and I loved the feedback he gave me.

He said go and live there so you don't have any regrets when you get back. If you feel like God's asking you to do something, do it.

Simple is good for me, and "no regrets" is a little tidbit I can hang onto while I'm there (and while I'm getting ready for the trip I might add). Thanks Scott.

2 comments:

Kevin Keelan said...

Jessee,
Your Mission will be life changing not only for those you seek to help but for you as well.
Your fear of experiencing it only through your lens is an honest consideration. But not to worry, I have come to know you just a little but enough to know that that lens of yours goes straight to your heart.
Sometimes here in the States we have a tendency to not be in the present, always thinking of what we want or looking forward to next, while the precious now slips by without warning.
When you are there in Africa among the lost and forgotten not even the strongest of wills will be able resist being here now in mind, spirit and in service to fellow man.
So, I believe your lens will put you in the presence of what is. Even though it’s a Cannon;)
God speed my friend,
Kevin

Anonymous said...

Kevin,

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement to be "in the presence of what is." I like that (even coming from a guy who shoots Nikon ;)

Have a great next k2 seminar...just wish I could be two places at once...you guys are gonna have a blast!

I'll talk to you when I get back.

~jc