Around 5pm, we drove our two fully loaded coasters over to COTN’s “house of peace” where thirty or so orphans live under the care of a house “Mommy and Daddy.” As we pulled into the house yard, sweet, smiling children surrounded our coasters and grabbed some of us by the hand, leading us into the house. Amber was picked up right away by a young girl. “Muli bwanji,” we said as we filed into the dimly lit living room, greeting our hosts by shaking hands with a dip of the head to signify respect. The left hand is placed on the right forearm as a sign of putting it all on the table so-to-speak. I felt a little foolish saying, “muli bwanji” over and over as I did not yet understand what the heck I was really saying.
The kids sang, danced, recited memory verses, poems, and their testimonies for us. When they introduced themselves, it was either with bows from boys or curtsies from girls. After they went, it was the American’s turns. I decided to stand up and bow as they had, producing a few laughs, which made me feel happy. As the kids sang and shared, I wondered if they enjoyed what they were doing and if they meant the beautiful praises to God they sang or if they were put up to it by COTN so the American “tourists’ would be entertained and supportive. Dang my pessimism sometimes.
The kids sang, danced, recited memory verses, poems, and their testimonies for us. When they introduced themselves, it was either with bows from boys or curtsies from girls. After they went, it was the American’s turns. I decided to stand up and bow as they had, producing a few laughs, which made me feel happy. As the kids sang and shared, I wondered if they enjoyed what they were doing and if they meant the beautiful praises to God they sang or if they were put up to it by COTN so the American “tourists’ would be entertained and supportive. Dang my pessimism sometimes.
Last night was one where after leaving I wished I had been more relational as I mostly just took pictures. I resolved to get rested up and be more present past my camera the next day.
I just have to mention dinner! After 28 hours on snack food or airplane meals, the homemade chicken soup, salad, rolls with red jelly were absolutely magnifique!
It was dark around six and I think I went to bed around eight, where sleep was also delicious as my eyes closed voluntarily within two to three minutes of my head touching my pillow. I had painstakingly packed my own pillow from home, first in a clean plastic bag, and then in my checked bag so the preserved, familiar scent of home was incredibly comforting and soothing when combined with the sheer exhaustion of relatively no sleep over the past two days.
Dabalas, or roosters, woke me the next morning with their persistent crowing, along with our camp guards speaking Chichewa just outside our hut. The sun comes up earlier in Malawi so I was up in the sixes with my journal. I felt so refreshed by a solid night’s sleep, as it was sorely needed. The view is beautiful with some mountain ranges looming up in the distance, and such big, beautiful sky. I was freezing though with teeth even chattering.
Definitely worth it.
I just have to mention dinner! After 28 hours on snack food or airplane meals, the homemade chicken soup, salad, rolls with red jelly were absolutely magnifique!
It was dark around six and I think I went to bed around eight, where sleep was also delicious as my eyes closed voluntarily within two to three minutes of my head touching my pillow. I had painstakingly packed my own pillow from home, first in a clean plastic bag, and then in my checked bag so the preserved, familiar scent of home was incredibly comforting and soothing when combined with the sheer exhaustion of relatively no sleep over the past two days.
Dabalas, or roosters, woke me the next morning with their persistent crowing, along with our camp guards speaking Chichewa just outside our hut. The sun comes up earlier in Malawi so I was up in the sixes with my journal. I felt so refreshed by a solid night’s sleep, as it was sorely needed. The view is beautiful with some mountain ranges looming up in the distance, and such big, beautiful sky. I was freezing though with teeth even chattering.
Definitely worth it.














No comments:
Post a Comment